A few months ago I saw a posting on Nextdoor Neighbor for FREE COOKBOOKS, which immediately caught my attention. I got in touch with the poster and she invited me to pick up what she said were over 30 books. I arrived the next day to learn that she was a food writer (hence the collection). She pointed me to a heap of books in her driveway.
A few were wet and a few were ruined by rain —apparently the guy who first answered the ad never showed after she left them outside for him. But many were in good shape—and there were some tremendous books there, from Thai Street Cooking to Barefoot Contessa. I hauled the score home and set up a cookbook-only library in my dining room.
Now I have consultation when I buy only 4 ears of corn for dinner and we have 7 people coming…Vegetables by James Peterson who is the authority on the subject had a great recipe that used bacon and jalapenos but worked just as well without. My adaption was a tremendous dish—one of my guests even licked the bowl.
Creamy Corn Salad
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 small tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1.5 cups corn kernels (from 4 ears of corn)
- 2 tsp chopped parsley or cilantro
- salt and pepper
How to cook Creamy Corn Salad
- Melt butter in 4 quart pot over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and red pepper and cook until onion is soft (about 8 minutes). Add the rest of the ingredients except the herbs. Simmer over low heat until corn is cooked through (about 10 minutes). Season with salt and pepper, and mix in herbs. This can be served hot or room temperature.