This recipe is from Avi's great great grandmother Sheindel who probably got it from her great grandmother. It's been passed down orally for generations so I'm now writing it down. The Gessers make this often as gifts for people or just to snack on because they are delicious and addictive. They are also quite labor intensive but easy enough-and actually fun-- for the kids. It's a whole family affair.
The name is Mun cookies but since they are more crackers than cookies and Mun is hard to say we're calling them monkey biscuits. Here is the recipe:
- 32 oz flour
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 brandyshot (glass size) poppyseeds
- 1 minced large onion
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 heaping tsp salt
- Dash of pepper
- Divide wet and dry ingredients into two large bowls.
- Combine wet and dry and mix well.
- Continue adding flour until dough is not longer sticky. you should be able to make a handprint and pull our hand away without dough sticking to it.
- Spread out very thin on greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 300 about 10-15 minutes (switching half way through) until they are crisp and light brown.